Your Life is a Song

December 23, 2014 by Renee Griffin

song to sing quote

(This post is part of #RaRaLinkup hosted by @kellybalarie over at her place, www.purposefulfaith.com.)

Recently, my church hosted The VOICES of Mobile, a chorus of college students from Mobile, AL to perform a Christmas concert.  I’d never heard them sing before, but I won’t miss another chance to hear them again.

Blew. Me. Away.

Dr. Roger Breland, director, introduced the group with a few powerful statements that spoke deeply to my heart.  His love for these young people was evident in his choice of words, tone, & affectionate looks.  He told us each member had an incredible testimony. They were more than just vocally talented; each one lived what they sang.

He told us he periodically asks this group of ladies and gentlemen: “Can you LIVE what you sing?”

Good question.  It’s one we should all ask.

It’s one I ask myself each time I click “publish” on a post.  Can I LIVE what I write?

God has given you a special, specific, unique, & individually tailored song to sing for Him, and your life is that song.

Our voices are ringing out a message for all the world to hear.  The words we say, the ways we parent, the relationships we nurture, the contributions we make, our habits and choices are singing a song.   Whether your audience is small or large, it makes no difference.  The God of the Universe sang a song over us over two-thousand years ago when He sent His One and only Son to be born in a manger.  God’s song made a way for us to receive eternal life through His Gift of Jesus Christ.  Before any of us were created, He gave us the very best Gift of all.  His Children are called to sing His Song to the world.

That’s me.

That’s you.

We have been given a song by The King.

When I first began writing, 10 months ago, I was so afraid.  I knew God called me to begin telling my adoption reunion story, Eyes of a Stranger, out here on the open digital waves, but the fear that gripped me was strong.  God knew I would obey Him regardless if I was about to puke or not.  I struggled with every word because I was so fearful that I would mess up somehow and bring shame to His Name.

I wonder if you feel this way, too.

Many of you reading this post today are following God’s call on your life to do something specific.

I really want my voice to point to Him and to live what I sing, and I’m certain you do, too.  Can I help you with something?  Lean in and let this soak down deep.

Go on and DO it.

Stop waiting to really let go and follow His call.  You don’t have to have it all figured out.  Turns out, you really can’t figure it  out anyway.  Just move ahead.  Little steps count!  Charge forward and do this thing.  He will work out the details.

As I open up my voice to the world and obey His call, He is setting me free with this simple, powerful truth.

This is HIS story.

It is because of my weakness that He will shine.

I bring Him my voice, which isn’t much, and He does what He chooses.

I’m not formally trained to be a writer, and I have no impressive credentials, and yet He calls me to write.  I even started a Facebook page that names me as an author although my book hasn’t been published…yet. It’s CRAZY!

My Jesus, He calls me to do these crazy sounding things, and I am just crazy enough about Him to do what He asks.  I trust Him to work out all the details.  I’m taking what I have to offer the King.  It’s not much of an offering in the eyes of the world, but laid at the feet of Jesus, it’s everything.

Why don’t you follow me to His feet and bring what you have?  Don’t evaluate your offering.  Fix your eyes on Him and just bring what you have, who you are, mistakes, failures, insecurities, hopes, prayers, dreams, and offer it all to the King.  Lay it all down and let Him begin to sing over you.

This song, Take Me To The King, says it best.

Dr. Breland’s group, The Voices of Mobile, travels all around the globe including the White House, Paris, and little ole’ Valdosta, GA.  Their obedience to follow God has taken their VOICES to places only God could orchestrate.

Dr. Breland said yesterday, “God uses insignificant people from insignificant places and opens up significant doors to do amazing things for Him.”

Dr. Breland quote

Yes, Jesus.

As we approach CHRISTmas day, the day we celebrate the birth of our Savior, Jesus Christ, let’s take what we have to The King.  Let go of anything blocking our path and just run to Jesus.  Bow down in His Presence and lift the voices He gave us, and let our lives sing a song of praise to Him.

Only God knows the doors He has waiting to open for you as you begin to sing.

Merry Christmas, friends!

24 thoughts on “Your Life is a Song

1. Amen! Love your words Renee. I especially love this: “It is because of my weakness that He will shine.I bring Him my voice, which isn’t much, and He does what He chooses.” I praise God that you have been obedient to his call, even though you could probably find every excuse in the book not to be. You are faithful. You have an incredible story to tell. You are following his greatness. He is blessing you. I just praise Him! Go friend Go! Cheering you on…

Liked by 1 person

• You, Kelly, are one of the many blessing He has brought into my life. He makes no mistakes. Hugs & cheers for you. Thanks for your obedience to His call to create this #raralinkup. It’s amazing. Much love to you!

2. Ruth says:

Beautiful! What an amazing idea to think of our lives as a song! I love that quote by Dr Breland: “God uses insignificant people from insignificant places and opens up significant doors to do amazing things for Him.” I may have to tweet that! I can relate to wanting to be a writer because God has equipped me to… even though I am fearful and have also not had anything published as such yet! But yours words of encouragement are so nourishing! Thank you Renee!

• Hi, Ruth! Thanks for commenting. As a fellow writer, you know how meaningful encouraging comments from other writers are to our hearts. You spur me on, friend.
      God has equipped you. Keep using the “equipment” He gave you. In His time & in His way, He will move in your life and His Name will be praised.
      Oh, and feel free to tweet away. I don’t know if Dr. Breland is on twitter or not, but he needs to be. Ha! Merry Christmas, Renee

3. Yes! and Amen! Let me live what I sing and what I speak! 🙂
    Wonderful post! Stopping by from Kelly’s link up! Blessings to you and Merry Christmas!

4. inspiredtolivefully says:

Renee, so glad to have come over from the #RaRaLinkUp. I love your illustration of each of us having our own song. Thank you sister for writing your song for us to read. Be encouraged today to keep on singing….

5. Jenny Jones says:

This post made me ask myself, “Can I live what I write?” Thank you.

6. mviscuse says:

This is exactly what I needed to read this morning. Thank you. Keep singing girl! Your beautiful song is making a difference! Merry Christmas.

7. Such encouragement – “You don’t have to have it all figured out” I needed to hear this today – just trying to move forward 🙂

8. Sarah Travis says:

I am so thankful that my God calls me to do the crazy things!!! I love this “Can you LIVE what you sing?” – such a truthful challenge to us all and also an encouragement to live what we write. Renee you have such a gift for declaring truth and light in love and it is an honor to be a blogging buddy! #RaRaLinkup
    Blessings and Merry Christmas xx

• Aren’t the crazy things kinda fun sometimes? When God asks me to do something that I know has no chance from my perspective of happening, I have learned this is THE place He works best in my life. So happy to connect with you. I look forward to reading your words. Merry Christmas, new friend!

9. Can I live what I write? What a powerful, probing question. I pray, with Jesus help, that I can. I love this post, because it is your evidence of obedience to God’s call on your life. God digs obedience! He will bless it. He will multiply your efforts. Follow hard after His calling on your life, Renee. So, you are a Georgia girl, too? I’m in North GA. Merry Christmas!

10. Carmen Horne says:

Oh girl, I needed to read this today. “Don’t evaluate your offering. Fix your eyes on Him and just bring what you have, who you are, mistakes, failures, insecurities, hopes, prayers, dreams, and offer it all to the King.” I am the queen of overthinking! I can do some evaluating of myself. I just loved it all. And yes, I worry about what I write and put out there. You made me giggle when you were willing to go forward, puke and all. God bless you and yours. Have a Merry Christmas! #raralinkup

Liked by 1 person

11. Kasey Hanson says:

This is so perfect for my heart and my family right now. We will find out within a couple of days if my sister-n-law will expand her heart and home through adoption. We wait as a family in anticipation, focused on Christ and full of love waiting to belt out our song to Jesus. Praise God for you and for allowing us all to be a part of HIStory!

• Love, love, love! Praying God provides His Perfect plan for your family and the precious one needing a forever family. Psalm 68:6a. NIV “God sets the lonely IN families…”
      Merry Christmas my sweet Georgia girlfriend!

12. Sometimes (like today) I feel like I am singing what I *want* to live and you’re right-if I focus on the flaws in my song, I won’t sing at all.
    But my song? It’s really HIS song, and His song is one of love and grace! And I can sing it at the top of my lungs like a duck with laryngitis (or puking…lol) but as long as I am doing it for HIS pleasure, it is a sweet sound to Him!
    Thank you for this beautiful connection of words and thoughts. You are an inspiration to me and so encouraging! (And I feel crazy too, because I think I am writing 2 books-so we should hook up about that!! lol)
    Thank you Renee-I’m blessed to #RaraLinkUp with you! 🙂 I’ll be back!

Liked by 1 person

• Hey, Christy!
      Thanks for coming over. The “duck with laryngitis” comment made me giggle. Puking seems to always insert itself in my writing. One of the many ways God keeps my humble.
      I really appreciate your cheers. We all need each other to spur us on. Thankful to connect with you.
      Merry Christmas dear one!
      Renee